THE KENTUCKY DERBY!
We had to drive from Bardstown to Louisville so we stopped at seriously the busiest McDonald's EVER for breakfast. We decided to park at the Expo Center and take a shuttle to Churchill Downs which was a great decision cause it was madness!
 |
| Main entrance to Churchill Downs |
Since we had chairs and a blanket to take in we had to enter through Gate 3...the dreaded Gate 3...we waited in line to get in for like 2 and a half hours! It was so crazy. We did get to talk to a few people while we were waiting, and made a couple of 'in-line friends'. We had to make a few different ones because the people around us kept ditching their chairs so they could go in through the main gate. We ditched the blanket in a garbage about an hour and a half in. Finally Jalaire decided to go around the corner to the gates and see what the situation was up that way...we ended up just ditching the line and pushing our way through....MUCH...MORE...EFFECTIVE! It was a record breaking crowd at the Derby, and you could tell! It was also SO HOT I thought I was gonna die.
 |
| Stanley posing between the spires in the In-Field |
 |
| The Famous Spires |
 |
| Flat Stanley chillin' at the Derby! |
 |
| The Famous Mint Julep |
After we got inside and chairs set up in the In Field I decided to wander for some people watching and picture opportunities... There were definitely a lot of both to be had!
 |
| Me in my Derby Attire |
 |
| LOVE THIS HAT! |
I went back only to find my chair was occupied...Jalaire had made a new friend while I was roaming. (Trust me Cort, he needs the chair more than you!) He was possibly the most drunk man at the Derby...and he did need the chairs more than us... so after a quick conference (Jalaire, "Hey! I've been making the hard cuts ALL WEEK! The chairs only had to make it TO the Derby!") We decided to leave them in the care of our drunken friend so we didn't have to worry about them anymore.
 |
| Stanley and I at the Spires |
 |
Picture of Jalaire and I taken by the kindly albeit toasted gentleman
He ALMOST got the spires in the background! :) |
 |
So, if I ever go the Kentucky Derby again...these are the seats I'm springing for! Grandstands all the way!!
|
More people watching....
 |
| LOVE IT! Pretty sure it's a hat and not his real hair though. |
 |
| He has horses HANGING FROM HIS HAT! |
 |
| FAVORITE BY FAR!! I WANT THIS HAT! |
 |
| Man in girlfriends hat.... |
 |
| Starting Gates for the races |
While we were wandering we found an entrance back to the stables...so we decided to walk around it and see what there was. (We did not see or know about the man found dead until the next day)
 |
| This is one of the horses that actually ran in the Derby race |
 |
| cause that's not over the top.... :\ |
Here's what I caught of one of the races....notice the random man that totally interrupts my flip book pics. Them horses are fast! 'Bodemeister' totally had the best back story and we both wanted him to pull it off. He did lead most of the race, but 'I'll have Another' pulled it out at the end. (He has since won the Preakness Stakes, but lost the chance for the Triple Crown at Belmont.)
 |
| The tractor getting the dirt ready for the big race |
This is the scene just outside Gate 3, they had several protesters there that day. The sign just out of the sight of the picture (he turned as I took the shot) says 'Jesus hates YOU!' Who wouldn't want to be part of that religion, right?! It was very sad that they were so hateful and especially sad because they had kids as young as 10 spreading their message.
 |
| Notice also all the pretty garbage on the ground.... |
Also while we were waiting outside in line, there were people to entertain us for a small donation...but my favorite was actually the 2 young girls that were selling water and soda! After everyone had ditched their chairs for the easier gates they went up and down the street collecting all the abandoned chairs. When we left Churchill Downs we saw them with their prizes... they were selling people's chairs back for $5!! HAHAHA! Totally my kind of entrepreneurship.
The hotel gave us each a commemorative glass for the Derby and since we each bought a drink inside Churchill Downs we ended up with a set! (Although we probably would have been better off to buy them for $3.00 at Wal-Mart!)

After returning to Bardstown, we decided to get some dinner at Pat's Place. It was better than Talbott Tavern...we both got chicken fingers, mac'n'cheese and fries. Jalaire also bought a piece of coconut cream pie for later. We then took another exciting trip to Wal-Mart for soda, water, and snacks. I also bought some aloe lotion cause I'm very smart and didn't put sunscreen on that day and was very VERY red.
We also filled the car with gas and checked the tire pressure (again) because even though we checked and filled the tires before leaving North Carolina they still seemed low. (I swear that other air thing was BROKEN! - Jalaire)
See how exciting we are?! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment